Monday, February 13, 2006

Where my thought's escaping

I think after this I should probably stop with the counting. But this is kind of important. I've been here six weeks now, which is officially longer than I've ever been away from the US, or anywhere I've referred to as home. (My Russia trip was just short of six weeks, I forget exactly how long.) When I moved to Boston and didn't go back to Michigan for a long time, Boston became home. Same with New York. Does that make Barcelona home now? Somehow it doesn't feel the same, at least not yet. New York still feels like home, even though I only lived there for less than two years. I wonder if it just feels that way now because it's still fresh, or if it will always feel that way because it really is home. I guess we'll see.

Anyway. Spanish people really just seem to stay home on Sundays. I was having dinner tonight at a not-particularly-touristy restaurant, and realized about halfway through the meal that everyone in the room was speaking English. Then on the walk home I overheard several English conversations. Not that English is so uncommon here, I hear people speaking it a lot. But on Sunday nights you seem to hear more English than Spanish, which is very rare in Spain.

1 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Sam said...

That may be my favorite Onion article ever. The line "I told this blonde from Michigan State that the public library was the Parthenon" cracks me up every time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home