Sunday, February 05, 2006

Coffee Talk

I finally bought a coffee pot today (fascinating life I lead, I know). It only cost 7.50 euros at 100 i mes (that's 100 and more in Catalan; I guess they're dealing in centimos). It's an Italian brand, and has the instructions translated into the worst English ever: "This is the coffee make you need to brew one or cups of 'expresso.'" Okay, maybe not the worst English ever, but it made me laugh. It's probably what I sound like when I speak Spanish. So anyway, I can have coffee now, at home! Yay!

Before I can go home and make coffee, though, I have to get a new cell phone because I lost mine, dammit. And it's siesta time right now, so I have to wait an hour for the Vodaphone store to reopen. Actually I have no idea how long I have to wait for the Vodaphone store to open--since I lost my phone I have no idea what time it is. And even if I did, the Vodaphone store will probably reopen whenever it wants to, not necessarily at 4pm like the sign says. (I'm wondering if I'll ever stop singing Voda-pho-o-one in my head to the tune of Kodachrome whenever I see the word Vodaphone. I guess in New York I finally stopped hearing the 59th Street Bridge Song at the 59th street subway stop....) Not all businesses here do the siesta thing, and apparently the government is considering doing away with it entirely to be more on schedule with the rest of Europe. I'd tell you more, but the article I read was in Spanish, so I missed a lot of the details.

...It just hit me that right now is really nice. I'm sitting in this little bar/cafe with funky art on the walls and good music playing. The bartender looks like Elliott Smith (RIP) and is pretty chilled out reading a newspaper. I'm the only one here so no one is smoking. I just finished a really good small jamón serrano sandwich and am having good coffee. And writing. Oh, I wish writing a blog could be my real job....

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger nelson said...

They're not dealing with centimos, they're dealing with pesetas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home