Friday, February 24, 2006

Hateful

My favorite insult ever is a Russian one (of course) that translates to "I hope your children shit in your soup." That's how I feel about the miserable awful woman I dealt with at the police station today trying to get my visa renewed. Hell, I'd shit in her soup myself if I had the chance. My Spanish sucks, but if people speak slowly and use easy words I can usually understand. So when I couldn't understand her I asked nicely if she could speak more slowly. She got really loud and harsh and started talking faster. I know Americans pull that shit all the time, but that doesn't make it okay. Then when she was done with me (I wasn't done with her because I still didn't really understand what I was supposed to do next, but she was having none of my questions) she tossed my passport at me and started shoving my papers into my folder when I wasn't moving fast enough. Can you believe that shit? I was so angry I wanted to kick and scream and yell and punch and bite. Lucky for both of us, I didn't. What I did was the closest thing I could do to going back to New York for an hour. I went to Starbucks and got drip coffee (and I'm not apologizing for it). But before I got the drip coffee I was rude to the Starbucks worker about using the bathroom before I bought the coffee. (The bathroom doors are locked and to use them you need a code that's printed on the bottom of your receipt. Who wants to take their coffee into a public bathroom? Gross.) I know I shouldn't let rudeness beget rudeness. But New York runs on that energy; it can't be all bad. Then I walked really fast back to work, cutting corners, walking in front of cars, frowning, with The Clash turned up really loud on my iPod. It felt great. Really great. But I still want to shit in that horrible woman's soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home