Thursday, February 23, 2006

Children get older

I'm just not all that comfortable with the special treatment professors get here. My building has a cafeteria and sometimes one of the lines (although it's never marked in any way and not always the same line) is for professors only. I ended up standing in it today (purely coincidence, because it was completely indistinguishable from the other lines) and when I got to the front was told that the line was only for teachers. I said "I am a teacher," which anyone could have done because they don't actually check, and got my coffee. (It's a good thing they don't check, because try as I might I can't seem to get any kind of university ID card, even though everyone else here seems to have one.)

So the cafeteria guy thought I was a student; I look young, I was dressed casually, whatever. Here's the thing. It's not just that I wasn't annoyed that he thought I wasn't a professor; I was elated. I caught myself glowing--glowing--because some random guy in the cafeteria thought I look too young to be a professor. An actual young person would never get excited about something like that. Yikes.

And I got a very slight sunburn from sitting outside at lunch today. I know it won't do me any favors in terms of aging, but still I have to brag a little bit. It is still winter, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home