Saturday, January 21, 2006

One More Cup of Coffee

The coffee here is very good. And very strong. And very small. And that's fine. But sometimes I just want a big old mug of coffee. Even worse, sometimes I want a big old insulated paper cup of coffee to drink, say, at my desk. While I work. [What I thought looked like a nice cozy quiet cafe to sit and write is now blasting Abba.... I may not know what I'm doing here.] It's certainly very civilized to stop what you're doing and enjoy your coffee, maybe carry on a conversation, relax. I'm all for that. Sometimes. But I want coffee several times a day. If I completely stopped what I was doing every time I wanted some caffeine, I'd do nothing but enjoy coffee. Which doesn't sound so bad, but I do have some job responsibilities. I don't have to work all the time, but I do have to work sometimes. It's not even really all about work. I spend large chunks of every day fucking around in my office--email, websurfing, etc.--and sometimes I'd like to have a mug of coffee while I do those things. I'm not a crazy super-sized American; I think Starbucks' Venti or whatever their stupid Italian-sounding name for large is is absurd. Even Starbucks' size small is pretty big. [Oh god, now they're playing Whitney Houston--from The Bodyguard soundtrack. Get me out of here! ¡¡LA CUENTA, POR FAVOR!!] I don't want Starbucks--all I want is to occasionally have good coffee in a slightly larger serving size. Does that make me terribly set in my American ways? I'm not saying it's better in the US. There the coffee sucks but there's a lot of it. Here the coffee is good but there's not enough of it. I want a compromise: a medium-sized cup of good coffee. For the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home