Friday, January 13, 2006

Missed two classes and no homework

Today is exam revision day at the University; it's the one day that the students are allowed to complain about the grading of their final exams. The halls are packed with students waiting to talk to professors. Complaining about grades seems to be pretty universal. And final exams are way more important here than in the US: In my course the final exam counts for 70% of the final grade, and apparently that's pretty common. It would have really stressed me out as a student.

I learned something good yesterday: The stores called Tabacs don't just sell tobacco. I had been silently bemoaning the lack of convenience stores here, but it turns out that Tabacs have snacks and soda and stuff (and CD's, which in Spanish are called CD's, not discos compactos) in addition to cigars, and have locations all over the place. Good to know. Especially because I've been eating an absolute ton lately. It's not just that I kinda feel like eating a lot, I'm starving all the time, ravenous, like I might just fall down and die if I don't eat immediately. Weird. Does being in a new place speed up your metabolism? I hope so, otherwise I'm in trouble.

A friend from New York is visiting this weekend, and I took the bus to meet her at the airport. I confirmed (in Spanish) with the bus driver that the bus was going to (rather than coming from) the airport, and then he said "Three sixty." (As in, the fare was 3.60 euros.) Not tres sesenta, three sixty. I don't want to be answered in English! Except of course when I ask for English....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home