Thursday, March 30, 2006

They speak Mexican there, but the food's not as good

I like food. Maybe I even love food. But I don't love food. I knew the food world was all atwitter about some restaurant in or around Barcelona, but I'd never even heard the word elBulli until I came here and became friends with someone who does love food. elBulli is in Roses, which is on the coast about two hours away from Barcelona, and is considered by some to be the best restaurant. In the world. Apparently people pay hundreds of dollars just for reservations there. I did not go to elBulli tonight. But I did go to Inopia, a tapas bar run by Albert Adrià, pastry chef at elBulli and brother of elBulli god Ferran Adrià (what, you didn't know that?). So now I can say that I've been to the elBulli tapas bar. I'm not sure how long it's been open, but it still seems very under the radar; it took a lot of googling to even find the address. Which should make for an even better story: "I went to Inopia (you know, Inopia, Adrià, elBulli?) beforeit was famous and crowded and waaaay overpriced." Or something like that.

I had high hopes. I was all set to spend too much money on a really good meal. And it was a good meal, but... They were out of most of their specialties, they only had Catalan menus, and they were stingy with the bread. I kept quiet about how underwhelmed I was, in case I was missing something that only food people can appreciate, but my food friend confirmed that there just wasn't anything that special about these tapas. Hm. The wine was very good and the entire bill for two people was only about 20 euros. It was a perfectly good and reasonably priced meal, just not one that I'll feel very justified bragging about.

And. Speaking of food, I have a confession to make. People rave about the seafood here. I don't know if I have no taste or if it's because I lived in Boston for a while or if I'm just really picky or what, but the seafood here does nothing for me. The fish is good, but the shellfish always tastes fishy. Maybe some people like that? I thought it wasn't supposed to taste fishy. And anchovies and sardines are a big deal; they're apparently way better here than in other places. And I'm trying with them, I really am, but I just don't like them. I guess maybe they're an acquired taste--I definitely haven't acquired it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home