Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Changing all my strings

Nothing like watching Crash to make you feel shitty about life.... (At least now I can legitimately gripe that Brokeback Mountain should have won Best Picture.)

I tend not to feel shitty about life for very long, though. For one thing, I think today was the first time ever in my life that the first day of spring hasn't meant snow. For another thing, I'm going to Bilbao! I'm going to Granada! And Madrid! And Galicia! (And Croatia! But that's another story....) Now that teaching is pretty much over, I'm starting to think about the places in Spain that I want to see while I'm here, and it's very exciting. I think the first stop will be Cadaques and Figueres for a little Dalí tour.

Salvador Dalí, like cereal for dinner and the irreconcilability of free will and an interventionist god, is something that I think most people got over after their first year of college but I never did. He wasn't just weird, he was really brilliant. He studied physics and made art inspired by quantum theory and Heisenberg's uncertainty principal. He also made my favorite sculpture ever; it's a woman's body, from the waist to about mid-thigh, I think, made of something smooth and black and shiny, with a white egg on top. It lives at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow.

The public transportation options to Cadaques and Figueres aren't great, so getting there will take some planning. So much better than preparing lectures....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home