Friday, March 10, 2006

I came back as a bag of groceries

My eating habits are regrettable. If I'm eating it, it's usually either processed or bad for me, often both. I have been eating a lot of oranges and clementines (Valencia is close by), and the coffee I drink is of good quality (I'm even getting used to the smaller amounts of it), but everything else is pretty much crap. Crap, or from a restaurant, which at best means way more olive oil than anyone really needs. Writing about Valencia inspired me to grab a clementine from my big bowl o' fruit just now. (I buy fruit with the intention of eating it instead of bad things. In practice I eat it in addition to bad things.) And it was moldy! Eeeewwww!!! (I swear I just bought those clementines. Don't think I'm gross.) Anyway, from buying so much of it I've noticed that the processed food here has a much shorter shelf life, or claims to, than similar food in the US. I bought some canned marinara sauce the other day (hey, pasta requires boiling water, that's something) and the label says it keeps in the refrigerator three days after opening. 3 days? I keep that stuff for months in the US. Well, weeks, anyway. I even noticed on a frozen pizza that you're supposed to eat it within a week of buying it. Isn't one of the points of frozen food that it lasts a long time? So now I'm all confused. Is the processed food less processed here and that's why it doesn't last as long, or is the labeling just really conservative? Or is all processed food like this and I just never read the labels and let things get too old in the US?

...and then I dropped my pants.

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Strange...my pants are also dropped as well! It's a epidemic!! Seriously though, I think that the Europeans are more cautious when it comes to loading food up with artificial preservatives and other chemically shiznitz. Personally, I love chemicals. My favourite non-alcohol drink is Diet Coke, which is about as natural as a Republican environmentalist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home