Saturday, March 04, 2006

¡Otra! ¡Otra!

An Ojos de Brujo show is like the flamenco version of a variety show. On acid. There's music, dancing, video, politics, lights, costumes, poetry, art, sprinting across the stage Mick Jagger-style. Dance ranged from traditional Spanish to breakdancing to pole dancing. I've heard their music described as radical flamenco, and I think that's pretty fitting. There was also some old school rap with mouth noises. (You know, when you put your hands up to your mouth and make rap noises? I don't know what the name for that is.) They played for almost three hours, and by the end I was exhausted just from watching it. How do you come down after performing something like that? I even forgave them for the encore (I hate encores, just keep playing dammit), because they must have really needed a break. But when I become a rock star, I won't fuck around with encores.

After the concert this strange guy with crutches (I see so many people on crutches here, it's weird) was trying to tell my friend and me that the band was copying Norah Jones. Trust me, there's no band out there that's less like Norah Jones than Ojos de Brujo. I also suspect his crutches may have been just for show, because I saw him waving them in the air and dancing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home