Friday, March 03, 2006

Doing the Unstuck

We talked about body parts and sickness in Spanish class today. Basic stuff: arms, legs, eyes, I don't feel well, I have a cold, my ears hurt. Then we came to medications: ear drops, shots, acne cream. And then supositorios para la fiebre. I took this to mean suppositories for constipation. Supositorio seemed self-explanatory, and fiebre is kind of like fiber, which is a word often associated with constipation. Nothing I really wanted to talk about, but potentially useful information, I guess. Then one of our practice exercises was to match up a list of conditions with a set of pictures of people suffering from various conditions, and one of the conditions listed was fiebre. This had gone too far. But after scanning the pictures, I was both confused and a little relieved to find nothing resembling an illustration of constipation. Turns out fiebre means fever. Oh. Once I realized my mistake, it didn't seem worth trying to explain it in Spanish or English, so I just bit my tongue to keep from giggling like an adolescent boy. Supositorio does seem to mean suppository, though, so I hope I don't get any fevers here in Spain....

And speaking of things that are unpleasant, I almost got myself run over by a tram tonight, a la Gaudí. I'm not looking to die, but it would have been an interesting way to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home