Tuesday, March 28, 2006

This song has nothing to do with the number eleven

The opening band at the concert I went to last night was, in the words of VH-1, awesomely bad. I couldn't tell if they took themselves seriously or not, so I held back from laughing out loud. It was all Americans on the stage, all night, mostly speaking English, but with some really bad Spanish thrown in. I realized I probably sound more like them than I like to think I do, dammit. As far as I can tell, American accents are sexy to no one. Anyway, the main act was this guy from Seattle who my friend had heard sounds like Tom Waits. And he does. More the drunken growling Blood Money Tom Waits than the sensitive Closing Time Tom Waits, but it worked. He played guitar on a few songs, but the main accompaniments was an accordion and a big plastic soda bottle filled with coins. There was some just plain screaming, and an unrecognizable-but-for-the-lyrics Outcast cover. Like I said, it somehow worked. Towards the end he growled "Do you want to sing a drinking song?" There were some cheers, but he didn't exactly get a resounding 'Yes' for a reply. It was a Sunday night, after all. Then he growled "What's wrong, you're not drunk enough? Do you want to get FUCKED UP?" That got a more enthusiastic reply, and he told everyone to stand up and point our right index fingers in the air. There were only maybe 40 people in the room and, after looking around skeptically, everyone got up and pointed. Then he growled "Now I'm gonna count to twelve and you're all gonna look up at your fingers and spin around twelve times." And we all did. And we got fucked up. Then he made us put our arms around the people next to us and sway. And we did (the swaying part was easy because we were all ready to fall over at that point). And then we sang the drinking song. It didn't feel like Barcelona at all. I don't know what it felt like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home