Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Beginning to See the Light

My Spanish class has basically turned into private tutoring, at least until the Italian guy gets back, which is an incredibly good deal considering that it's free. I'm still stewing on the idea that I have no personality in Spanish, and I don't think it's that simple. I kind of have a personality in Spanish, a little tiny bit. I have voice inflections and intentional pauses and facial expressions--that's something, right? Also, I'm vaguely aware that people who are multilingual have at least slightly different personalities in their different languages. So what I'm wondering now is whether this glimmer of a self that I have in Spanish is some stripped-down version of my personality that's constant and independent of language, or whether it's the beginnings of my new Spanish-language personality. I'm also wondering if maybe I think about myself a little too much. I had no idea that trying to learn Spanish would stir up so much psychobabble.

...

Sometimes the only appropriate way to respond to me when I'm ranting is to ignore me completely. Yesterday was one of those times. Who the hell do I think I am, whining about my personal finaces in front of all of cyberspace? That's just inappropriate. Also, I'm better off than probably the vast majority of the people on the planet. Momentary lapse of reason. And dignity.

...Oh, and the quiz went off more or less without a hitch. I may not be good at teaching Spanish undergraduates (they don't think I'm funny), but so far at least I haven't sabotaged the course or anything. Although it would probably make for better stories if I had.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sam said...

That brightened my whole day, thanks! And good to know I'm not the only one having these language issues. I also have the 'out' that a lot of people here do speak English, but I'm trying not to rely on that toooo much--it would be a shame to live here for 6 months and not learn the language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home