Saturday, June 17, 2006

Skip a life completely

I wiped out so bad walking up the steps out of the subway today. I guess I slipped or something (I think maybe I tried to skip up the stairs after hearing the word skip in a song on my iPod) and I fell forward on my hands but then my hand slipped and I fell on my elbow and then my foot slipped and I started sliding backwards. My iPod hit so hard it bounced (that thing is unbreakable) and skipped to the next song (speaking of skipping). Un desastre. Between being embarrassed, laughing at myself, and writhing in pain, I had a hard time convincing the passers-by that I was okay. It really did hurt, but I'm still cracking myself up over how comical I must have looked.

Anyway. It's pretty rare that I find myself in situations that legitimately feel like they might culminate in orgy, but tonight was one of those oddities. My friend lives with an artist, and on Friday nights he and his artist friends do these "jam sessions." There's a girl dancing in front of a screen that she's also being projected onto, and the artists paint on the screen. I use the word dance loosely; they call it modern dance but it looked more like very casual yoga (tumbling?). She didn't necessarily follow the beat of the music (I'm also using the word music loosely--for part of the time it just sounded like people fighting and then it switched to a tennis match) and she was smoking the whole time. The artists got started by painting some of her silhouettes on the screen though, so she served that purpose. It lasted over an hour, with the artists painting over things and adding to and changing each other's work, and the audience of maybe thirty people sitting in a few chairs but mostly on the floor drinking 1.50€ cans of beer. It was really intimate to watch the creative process from the start and to see a painting knowing how it came to be. I'm in awe of artists anyway, but to be able to perform spontaneously yet on demand and in front of an audience (and really well) is just beyond my comprehension. Towards the end the music had this pretty intense beat and the dancer was putting her foot on this guy in the audience and these girls next to me started making out and--Okay I made up the part about the girls making out, but it wouldn't have been out of place. No orgy either, but it felt like it could have happened. So Barcelona.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home