Friday, April 07, 2006

I found this ear

There was this one-legged pigeon today. I was sitting on a bench eating a sandwich and I felt sorry for him (I´ve decided the one-legged pigeon was male) so I threw him a piece of bread. He hopped (couldn´t walk) closer to me to get the bread, and then I could see that he was also missing a toe. Then another pigeon stole his bread and I felt really bad. And curious. Was it a birth-defect? A leg- and toe-mangling accident? A series of freak accidents? While I was contemplating these questions, I swear he sneezed and that was it, I had to get up and leave. That pigeon was depressing the hell out of me.

Anyway. The Dalí museum in Figueres was designed by Dalí himself. It´s a disconnect I don´t normally thing about, but most of the art you see is in museums, which can´t really be the setting most artists have in mind when they´re creating art, can it? (Unless they´re just thinking about making money....) Museums serve their purpose well, but art in context is great; one of my favorite things about the Dalí museum is that it´s his art displayed the way he wanted it displayed. And of course it´s wonderfully weird. A bucket on the wall here, a big cutout of Freud there, mirrors, ears. It was mostly his own works, but there were also some pieces by others from his personal collection--mostly pretty traditional stuff that was nothing like the art he created. Dalí also made jewelry, a lot of which was on display and which was very, very cool. My favorite was a charm on a neclace of an eye with a clock face painted on it and a tear in the corner. And there was this big gold heart with a square cut out and this red jeweled blob in the shape of a human heart inside and it was beating. Trippy.

People say Figueres is kind of a hole, and it kind of is. It´s not that bad, but there´s not much redeeming here besides the museum. Also, there are tons of perfume stores, which in Spain is a pretty sure sign that you´re in a crappy tourist trap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home