Thursday, April 27, 2006

Paint a Vulgar Picture

I repeat: Having visitors is a great excuse for sightseeing. Finally made it to one of the houses that Gaudí designed. I could try to describe it really well, using words like ornate and flowing and sinuous, but I just don't think it would work. So I'll just say that it's really fucking cool. The Sagrada Familia is great, but I prefer Gaudí's works that aren't giant construction sites. Just me.

We also went to an exhibition by this Russian/Ukrainian/Polish artist, Kasimir Malevich. He invented Suprematism, which in it's 'purest' form (and I say that with one eyebrow raised) consists of things like a big black square on a white canvas. Kinda cool to look at; I might even hang something like that on my wall if I ever have a wall of my own to hang things on. But I don't really get it. The exhibition did convince me that there may be something to get, though. He painted all kinds of different stuff in different phases of his career, and was clearly a very talented and serious artist: He wasn't just some jackoff painting squares. After the Suprematism thing (early 1900's) he got into architecture and did a lot of anti-communist, anti-Soviet painting, so it's not like he started painting squares out of laziness, either. He was up to something, I just don't really get what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home