Friday, April 21, 2006

The Spanish Federation?

Zapatero is all the rage right now. The Spanish prime minister has been in office for two years now, the Spanish economy is good, he´s on the cover of Newsweek International. Let me throw in my two centimos: I kind of have a crush on him. He looks funny in pictures sometimes because he makes strange faces, and I´d like him better with longer, scruffier hair, but he´s very attractive. He´s got really nice blue eyes and he´s very well dressed and he´s tall. And he pulled the Spanish troops out of Iraq. I totally want him.

And. Andalucia wants to be a nation now, too? I know I´m just a foreigner, but isn´t Andalucia just about as Spanish as Spain gets? It´s bullfighting and tapas and warm weather and friendly people. And they speak Spanish there. In Catalunya and the Basque Country, the want for autonomy comes partly from the fact that those regions are different from the rest of Spain: different language, different culture, different history. Spain is a patchwork, so you can kind of argue that any of the regions are different from the rest of Spain, but Andalucia? I dunno. Spain is made up of 17 autonomous regions. What if they just replaced the words "autonomous region" with "nation"? Probably not enough for the Basques, but wouldn´t that make everyone else happy? Spain coud be a federation of nations, like the Russian Federation. Well, maybe not like the Russian Federation, but you know what I mean. I´ll try to mention it to José.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home