Monday, May 15, 2006

It's... interesting

I'm really good at rationalizing things. If there were rationalization (or verb conjugation) factories, I'd be all set. I'm in a little bit of trouble with the IRS because I fucked up my 2003 taxes. I wish I didn't owe them money, but if I'd paid what I owed then I would have been broke then. Maybe I wouldn't have gone to Russia after grad school; maybe I would have stayed in Boston and learned to sail. That wouldn't have been for the best. So I'm choosing to see my tax mistake as a high-interest loan that I needed for life expenses but wouldn't have taken if I'd realized it was a loan. See how well it works?

I was telling my friend the tax story tonight and in the same conversation heard myself saying that one of my top priorities right now is to make my life interesting. And it is; I'm not just rationalizing that one. People in the midwest often use the word interesting as a euphemism for bad. Not me. Things that suck are often interesting, but in a good way. And you can rationalize all kinds of sucky things as interesting. (Maybe I'm more midwestern than I like to admit.) My hero Julie Powell once said something like "The thing about being a moron is it makes your life more interesting." Same idea. If life went according to plan that would be boring. Right?

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Sorry, I guess I deserved that. But midwesterners do that interesting thing, and it bugs me. I know they have interesting fun, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home