Monday, May 29, 2006

A bigger boat

Went swimming today and I did a pretty bad job of putting on sunscreen, so I have some patches of sunburn. Then I fell in the shower and hurt my arm. But at least I'm not seasick. I was really nervous about taking so many ferries this trip, because sometimes I get seasick and it's really, really awful. But so far so good, just some post-boat dizziness and that's manageable.

The beach today was all rock and the rocks were so white that they almost glowed. Very cool. Also very slippery, but whatever. (Not as dangerous as the shower, it turns out.) I felt like I was in a Corona commercial, only better because I wasn't actually drinking Corona. Corona sucks.

Tonight we're on another overnight ferry to Rijeka, a port city in the northern part of Croatia. Apparently not much of a destination, but it's where the boat goes. We had to take another cab across Hvar Island to get to the ferry port, and the ride today was even scarier than yesterday's. I mean, exhilarating. I swear, the driver accelerated around curves. Tight curves with steep inclines, around the sides of mountains. He looked a little scary, too, so I wasn't sure whether to be more afraid of going over a cliff or being sold into the human slave trade. Exhilarating. In the end, he just dropped us off at a deserted port in the middle of nowhere. Two hours before our boat was supposed to leave, the place was an absolute dead zone. Lucky for us, though, it was a dead zone with an open grocery store across the street, so we got some ham and bread and cheese to eat on the boat. (The food options on our last overnight boat sucked.) We even found some decent-looking wine that appears to have a screw cap; if not I'll have to endear myself to the boat bartender. And even though the port bar never opened, our boat did come for us. Of all the places I've seen in Croatia so far, the Stari Grad port two hours before departure is the one where I'd least like to be stranded.

My phone is becoming less and less useful. First it stopped working as a phone when my credit ran out in a country that doesn't recognize my ATM card. But I could still get text messages (mostly from Vodaphone, whatever), and it has a clock. But then last night it somehow got turned off, and then when I turned it back on I managed to enter my pin incorrectly three times so now I'm completely locked out. Which probably means a trip to the Vodaphone store back in Barcelona (never a good time), and also means that our only timekeeping device is my alarm clock. Time for me to get a watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home