Saturday, May 27, 2006

I'm so dizzy

The world is still spinning a little. There's a slight chance that it's from the liter of red wine our waiter brought us instead of the half liter we ordered last night, but I'm still blaming the boat.

We went swimming today. I don't normally prioritize swimming when I travel; I didn't even remember to pack my bathing suit this trip. But the water is so beautiful (and it's hot here) that I decided yesterday I had to swim in it. I bought a cheap bathing suit and we spent this afternoon at the beach. The people we're staying with suggested a place to go, and I was disappointed at first that there was no sand at all. It was a rock and cement beach. But it was really cool; you climb down the rocks to get to the water and then you're in this blue-green paradise surrounded by rocks and cliffs. It was pretty amazing. Before coming here I thought Cadaques was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen, but Cadaques is beautiful in a small, charming way. This is beautiful in a powerful, overwhelming way.

For dinner I dragged us halfway up a mountain looking for the perfect restaurant. I've turned into a total pain in the ass about restaurants: I don't want anything touristy even thought I'm a tourist; it has to be authentic, and not too expensive. And we did finally find, if not the perfect restaurant, the perfect view and really good wine. It was basically a hotel bar that served food and we sat outside and watched the sun set over the old town. I do such romantic shit with my nonromantic friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home