Saturday, August 12, 2006

Grounded

Maybe I should just move to Seattle and work at a record store. I guess I'm a little suggestible these days....

Because I insisted on flying British Airways (was in Seattle for a job interview), the thwarted terror attempt thwarted my return trip to Spain. My refusal to get stuck in London meant three extra days in Seattle. Bummer because I have friends in Spain right now waiting to visit me, but at least I'm stuck in a cool city where I have a place to sleep. I sat in an independent coffee shop this morning wearing a sweater and feeling grungy. (Okay, the sweater was brand name and probably expensive, but it was also itchy and borrowed and too big. That counts.) Good coffee. I walked through a park and went to the art museum. It had an exhibition of glass art: very different, very cool. And. Seattle Art Museum: SAM. I made friends with a guy on the street collecting money for the DNC. I told him I have six dollars, a friend, and an ATM card that doesn't work. He told me to keep trying to convince Spain that Americans aren't all bad. And he invited me to go sailing tomorrow but I already have plans to go kayaking. I went to book stores and record stores and a newsstand. (Does life get better than a used book store with a resident cat?) The sun eventually came out. I bought good Belgian beer at an organic grocery store. Just when I was really thinking I could get used to this, I realized I'd paid $8.25 for a glass of wine with lunch. Ouch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home