Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dude looks like a--

Now. European guys of all nationalities are way more metrosexual than their American counterparts. They wear cropped pants and sandals and use all kinds of hair product. Straight European guys are also far less fearful of looking gay than American guys are--they'll hug other guys, touch their arms, dance with them, whatever. Neither of the aforementioned facts really explains the guy I just saw wearing a skirt. Not a kilt, a skirt. He was kinda hip: He had a mullet and piercings and was holding hands with an attractive woman. He was also wearing a skirt: a red, clingy, slightly above the knee skirt that I think was made of cotton. Definitely not a kilt. Whatever.

Francisco Pizarro, of Incan infamy, was born in Trujillo, Extremadura. Trujillo now has a Pizarro statue, a Pizarro museum, a Pizarro Restaurant, streets named after several members of the Pizarro family. I don't know what I propose they do instead, exactly, but it seemed like a lot of glorification for someone who killed a whole lot of people. Surely others have waxed more poetically than I can about judging historical figures by current moral standards. And Pizarro certainly did some good things for Spain. I get that his hometown is gonna make a big deal out of him; it just seemed a little unbalanced. The museum didn't even touch on the fact that taking over entire civilizations and killing people isn't very nice--maybe it was lost in my bad translation, but I don't think so.

Anyway, in addition to all the Pizarro stuff, Trujillo has what I'm pretty sure is the shittiest plaza in all of Spain (there's one in Badajoz that's pretty awful too, but at least that one is under construction and so ostensibly being improved.) Pizarro had this sidekick named Almagro. I don't exactly know the story (in addition to not understanding everything I read in Spanish, I tend not to remember very well what I've read), but they had some kind of a falling out and Pizarro's people killed Almagro and then Almagro's people killed Pizarro. The Plaza Almagro in Trujillo is way over on the edge of town, even farther from civilization than the bus station, and it's so crappy and neglected that you have to wonder if it's a political statement. Almagro wasn't from Trujillo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home